Varner III is probably a bit more familiar to PGA TOUR fans than to those who stay close to the European Tour. I’m a bit surprised to find him in the Made in Denmark field He’s ranked 123rd in the FedExCup race and I’d expect this bubble boy to be slugging it out this week at the Northern Trust. But here he is, getting ready to take on Himmerland.
More from Pro Golf Now
- Golf Rumors: LIV set to sign Masters Champion in stunning deal
- Fantasy Golf: Grant Thornton Invitational DFS Player Selections
- Brutal return leaves Will Zalatoris looking towards 2024
- Stars You Know at World Champions Cup Starts Thursday at Concession
- Fantasy Golf: An Early Look at the 2024 Masters Tournament
For those who aren’t familiar with his game, Varner is a scrappy competitor who has managed to keep his overall SG stats in positive numbers even though he’s struggled with scrambling and putting. Top-20 finishes at the Memorial and the Wyndham tell me he can stand up to the competition. Now the question is how will his game play on a links-style venue.
Varner’s a gamble, but I’m betting on the strength of his mental game. If you don’t feel like taking that gamble, give David Horsey a look. He’s a little bit more expensive in terms of salary, so you’d have to trim somewhere else in your lineup, but he was solid at both the Irish Open and the Scottish Open and he’s the 2016 Made in Denmark champion, so he would certainly be bringing more experience in links golf and managing Himmerland than Varner III.